Seating capacity: 6,814
Gross Memorial Coliseum is the home of Fort Hays State men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball, wrestling, and indoor track and field. The coliseum is in its 46th year in 2018-19. The 6,814-seat arena was finished in August of 1973 at a cost of seven million dollars. The Tigers made the move across campus from Sheridan Coliseum, which seated 2,000. Paul “Busch” Gross is the namesake of the Coliseum. Gross coached basketball at FHSU from 1930 to 1946 and also served as the athletic director at Fort Hays State for several years. In 2017, Gross Memorial Coliseum was selected as one of the Five Best Arenas in D2 Basketball by Hero Sports.
The installment of a new video board occurred in the summer of 2017. The new board replaced the old scoreboard above center court that was in operation nearly 20 years. The new board features a four-sided, high definition, full-color LED display, with all four screens measuring nearly 12 feet wide by seven feet tall. Just below is a video ring that is two feet tall with an 11-foot diameter. The underside of the ring features the Tiger logo facing the playing floor. The new video board replaces the old center-hung scoreboard that was in operation at the coliseum for over 20 years. New scoreboards at each end of the arena were also installed in place of old scoreboards. The volleyball, wrestling, and softball programs all received upgrades to locker rooms inside the coliseum as well.
In the summer of 2008, changes were made with the addition of chairback seating on the lower level of the coliseum. Approximately 650 chairback seats were installed along the sidelines of the court. New composite retractable bleachers were installed on both ends of the court. The chairback seats and new bleachers replaced the old wooden bleachers that encompassed the entire lower level.
Resurfacing of the wood playing floor occurred prior to the start of the 2006-07 season to reflect the Tigers’ affiliation with the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association. A large Tiger logo is displayed at the center of the court. The conference letters “MIAA” are located in the lanes just inside the free-throw lines on each end of the basketball court. The word “Tigers” is located on each baseline of the basketball court. Fort Hays State University and the NCAA logo are also on the court along each sideline.
M.C. Cunningham Hall is part of the total Health, Physical Education and Recreation/Athletic complex at Fort Hays State that is connected to Gross Memorial Coliseum. Cunningham Hall houses Health and Human Performance offices, classrooms, a swimming pool, four full-sized gymnasiums, four handball/racquetball courts, a weight room, a dance studio, and a wrestling room.
Gross Memorial Coliseum is a multipurpose facility. It also serves as a home to KSHSAA State Basketball, State Wrestling, and State Volleyball Championships. The coliseum houses the FHSU Athletic Department, a large athletic training room, locker rooms, concession stands, a press box and the Field Weight Room which features full nautilus equipment and free weights.